“God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal” (Sam Colt)
Guns and other equipment for self protection is a must. Your survival chances with a gun are much higher than of those with no guns. Even if you are pacifist in heart, have a gun or two and practice to shoot it. If the big disaster happens, you will be happy to have taken this advice.
You need a gun and depending on where you live and what are the laws for gun purchasing, you should get a reasonable amount of guns and bullets. I say reasonable amount to emphasize that you shouldn’t spend all your money on guns. The budget for self-defence must be balanced with the general prepping budget.
But once you have established your needs and capabilities, it is really up to your desire, whether to go for AK 47, Glock 17 or Smith and Wesson revolvers.
If for some reason you cannot buy a gun or you are against guns in general, you can purchase other means of self defense:
- Tear gas
- Pepper spray
- Other self defence guns, such as gas guns (the danger is that many of them look like the real guns and the attacker could be provoked to open fire first).
- Learn to make Molotov cocktails
- Net guns – very primitive but effective
- Hunting traps – can be used for hunting wildlife and can be planted through the territory to protect your property against intruders. Be careful to make sure all your family knows where it is located.
What can also be very handy in self-defense is:
- Camouflage outfit and camouflage materials
- Plastic handcuffs – those plastic cable ties that are good also for fastening the wires, making a shelter or any other task. They are really multi purpose and cheap.
- Duct tape (can be used for nearly everything).
- Baseball bat.